Thursday, January 19, 2006

It's a beautiful morning in Joburg and I've got a busy day as usual including an interview with the Dti regarding business tourism and a visit to Sappi regarding a project for later in the year. The visit to Sappi means I get to go into town/city (Joburg CBD for those not familiar), which I always love. Despite the fact there is still a lot to do in the area, it has such a buzz about it. I'm there tomorrow morning as well at Home Affairs, so not quite sure what time the blog will go up tomorrow.
Just reading through all my international emails that are waiting for me in my inbox every morning, and there's a story that Ad Age is going to podcast its columnists www.minionline.com/topstory.htm , and this gem comes from the fabulous www.iwantmedia.com email that I get. Has some of the best media stories around in this daily email. Subscribe to it now if you haven't already.
Maybe I should think about setting up podcasts for my columnists - after I get a website of course. You see, South Africa is waaaaay behind the US and Europe when it comes to media and marketing. Our magazine industry is still seeing loads of launches, newspapers are still increasing in circulation, and because of the Telkom (telecomms company) monopoly, broadband is still very expensive and hampering Internet growth. This is ignoring the fact that most of the country still lives in poverty, without electricity and running water. So, the growth in SA can only continue for traditional media for quite some time. And new media is simply going to take much longer.
But, I live in hope that I can maybe help push things forward through Marketing Mix. Oh, and if you didnt know this, Marketing Mix is a magazine. Just thought I'd let you know that. And it's about the marketing mix - clever huh!

No comments: