Monday, January 30, 2006

A1 Grand Prix

It was a little foggy this morning at 5.30am on my way to work, and it's overcast now. As long as it doesn't provide us with a similar Highveld storm as yesterday, I'll be happy - need to play tennis urgently and bored of the courts being soaked.
Anyway, I watched the A1 Grand Prix www.A1gp.com yesterday live and direct from sunny Durban on SABC 3. Well, I watched most of it as above mentioned storm took out the satellite feed at various points during the race - most annoying.
I have to say, I was quite impressed with the coverage, it didn't always go to plan with two diffrent commentaries occasionally boradcast over the top of one another, and some dropped commentary, but it was much better than the diasater I imagined might happen. Sorry to the SABC, but its programming quality isn't always the best, but then neither is SuperSport - the commentators for the F1 are dreadful and I'm praying that when the season starts again shortly, they've fired the lot of them.
Here's me going off the topic as usual. What I really want to chat about is the opportunity that A1 brings to South Africa. I noticed that Absa took the lion's share of the sponsorship, I spied Telkom there somewhere, SABC was all over the place, and Emirates airlines has banners in promient positions - not too shabby.
However, I think that more local brands should have jumped on the brandwagon after all, it was a globallly televised event, it's gaining huge support from fans, involves nations competing against one another as oppose to brands, and is guranteed to only get bigger and better with the support of Sheikh Maktoum and Tokyo Sexwale (the SA version of Donald Trump).
If only the SA brands would see this opportunity. They could even brand Stephen, he's a fairly good-looking guy, good natured in front of the camera, and by all accounts, the country has got itself a new hero to support. What a great opportunity.
PS, the last race of the season is in China - what a branding opportunity that is.

No comments: